Thursday, January 29, 2009

King Tut and the First Emperor

Saturday my friend Amy and I set out to see King Tut and the First Emperor exhibits in downtown Atlanta. We sped off in Amy's darling little Mini Cooper for a day of fun and adventure. Our first stop was the First Emperor exhibit. The First Emperor was the emperor Qin who united all the states in China. For his burial tomb he had 1,000 workers make 7,000 Terra Cotta soldiers. All these 7,000 soldiers have different faces, hairstyles and clothing. I don't believe there are any two alike. Along with the soldiers there were birds, chariots, horses and other decorative objects. It was truly amazing to see these unique pieces of history. Unfortunately, there were no photos allowed in the exhibit. But we did get a photo outside of the High standing by the cardboard soldier. It almost looks real.

Amy and I then went to South City Kitchen for lunch. We had awesome fried chicken with gravy and green beans. Because it was Amy's birthday we also had a free Chocolate Bread Pudding. Lunch was delicious.

We arrived at the King Tut exhibit right at 3:00. There was a 3d movie and it almost felt like we were in Egypt at the various tombs of the Pharaohs. The Tut Exhibit was truly amazing. When you go, get the audio tour. It is narrated by Harrison Ford and gives interesting facts about the artifacts. The quality of the statues and furniture and jewelry was unbelievable. Hard to imagine they were 4,000 years old. Again, no photos allowed in the exhibit. Guess you'll just have to see it for yourself. It was worth every penny and then some. Maybe someday I'll get to Egypt to see the real tomb of King Tut.






4 comments:

Pam said...

What a wonderful and educational day you had. I love it when I learn something...and get great food! See you at Scrap Club!

Jamie Payne said...

Glad you had fun! Can't wait to see you this Sunday...

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

I loved going to these exhibits. Wasn't it awesome? Pete and I both got the audio part of the King Tut exhibit. I got it just so I could listen to Harrison Ford's dreamy voice, but it really was worth it. We didn't bother with the audio for First Emporer. It was an awesome exhibit but not as big as Tut. We bought movies from the stores at both exhibits. The DVD of The First Emporer is amazing to see. We also saw the 3D movie. It was a great day! Glad you and Amy enjoyed your day together. I miss you and can't wait for us to all be together this Sunday for Scrap Club.

zuveena said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.