Monday, January 19, 2009

New Projects

With the new year, most of us tend to set new goals and plan things that we want to accomplish in the upcoming year. The beginning of the new year provides a perfect opportunity to start over fresh and do things differently. Being 10 or so days into the new year I was anxious to begin a project that I had been putting off for months. . . organizing my scrapbook and craft room. It was going to be a huge project, especially since Jessica and her friends had made a huge mess after making darling t-shirts for their boy vs. girl scavenger hunt. All the stamps and paint were spread out all over the floor. The top of my work table is cluttered with pictures and various other scrapbooking paraphernalia. There were 20 or so Label Tulip and Scarlet Lime kits piled up on the floor. As I write this I’m regretting not taking a before and after photo. But you get the picture. First project of the day was to clean all the stamps. That fabric paint is pretty tough to remove. The next task, which was actually pretty fun, was to sort through all those kits! What a joy to see all the fabulous goodies and colors that were contained in the plastic zipper top bags. Buttons were stored in a jar, ribbon put into a basket or jar depending on the type of packaging. Stickers were placed in a cropper hopper plastic sleeve as were various rub-ons. These were then hung in the closet using the new pant hangars I purchased from Wal-Mart. What an awesome idea that was! They now hang in the closet instead of placed in a pile on the floor. Little packages of brads and other embellishments were hung onto the clip it up spinner in newly marked categories. Cardstock was put in the cardstock paper trays and patterned paper was put into one of three cropper hoppers. It literally took all day on Sunday to sort through the piles of paper, brads, stickers and kits to see the floor. There is still plenty of work to do, as the top of the work space needs to be de-cluttered, paper needs to be organized along with scraps. Photos need to be sorted and boxed according to years and events. As I’m working through this I will be reading the new Stacy Julian book “Photo Freedom”. This should help me organize my photos and unleash my scrap booking log jam. I’ve attached the photo from the Scrapbooks Etc. home page which inspired me to organize the scrapping space. The closet is left to do and that should give me quite a bit more space for the photos and albums that desperately need a home. Stay tuned for progress reports.

What sort of projects do you have in store for the new year?



2 comments:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

How I envy your organization and wish I could carve out time to do a little work in my hobby room. My kits are still in the original zipper bags, but at least they have been removed from their shipping boxes. I bought several crates from Garden Ridge to store my kits and keep them from falling all over. I would love to retire to my hobby room. I still haven't completed an entire album. I do a layout here and there but never finish anything. Have fun with your new clean space. Mine is a mess.

Pam said...

You inspired me! I was up until 11:45 pm last night organizing my craft room...ok, ok, I only have a closet. It looks so great! I followed your lead with button and ribbon jars and hung items in plastic bags from clip hangers on the closet rod. I put scissors and sizzix items in little plastic boxes and organized all of my kit items. It's a thing of beauty! Well, not really beautiful, but at least I know what I have. I couldn't belive how much I've already accumulated! But...I still need more STUFF!!!